Farewell my little buddy
I was having lesson earlier today and I received a call from my momsie halfway through my class. A little impatient, a little distracted, I decided to pick up thee call. To be honest, I really dislike picking up calls in the middle of any lessons especially when they are unimportant calls. "妹你今晚几点回来?咪咪喘气喘倒很厉害,差不多要死了" We all know that our little buddy (and we call him 咪咪)is ageing really badly, limping and with a face shape that resembles a street rat because of his extreme weight loss but nonetheless we still dote on him a lot despite being just a tiny palm-sized creature. I reached home around 11pm and immediately went to check on my little buddy.............

Though this isn't my first time adopting a pet hamster, this was the friendliest hamster I have taken care of till date. It was actually a Russian Dwarf breed and I didn't have a good impression of this hamster. I sworn to never  get a pet hamster ever since my previous ageing roborovski got captured away by a stray cat which crawled into my house when nobody was aware of it. FYI, I live on the 5th floor so I don't get how the cat manage to source for a prey so successfully. Anyway I managed to catch a glimpse of the cat dashing out with my hamster hanging in its mouth but all was too late. Pretty bad trauma I had back in early 2014 and all I did was locking myself in the room back then and never dared to come out at all. And..... my younger brother just have to bring home a male Russian dwarf a year later when I'm already used to not having any pet at home...Apparently it was a mark of dating gift between his girlfriend and him and his girlfriend own the female one. I was really sceptical to take care of this hamster because I cannot tolerate my younger brother's nonsense for bringing back a pet as a "dating gift". Teenagers nowadays. However,this little buddy of mine was cheeky, active and forever craving for attention from all of us. Extra care was given to 咪咪 because we didn't want the history to repeat itself. We changed our door and make sure that the tank (where buddy lives in) was covered during times when we're all busy with our own chores. Little buddy is always craving for our attention, jumping around in the tank and pressing his little hands on the glass and peep out for us all the times. He gets really active in the morning, attracting for our attention as we prepare to leave the house for work/lessons. We showered our love for him immensely and days past, he became a little overweight.


His first few days with us


And he really transformed from a tiny little creature to a huge monster.


And yeah, we have lots of fun times with this cutiepie of ours. He is very obedient and does not bite.


And his favourite play pent has got to be......Urgh waste papers.




And his last few moments with us....

Little buddy huddling in one corner


He was still panting on my hand in this picture even though he looks like he isn't alive but I was providing him with my warmth for the last few moment.

.............I checked on my hamster immediately without even putting down my bag and all I see was him panting heavily, trying to catch his breathe. It was a long observation, I did see him struggled furiously from a corner to another and then peeping out through his glass tank like he always did. But this time round, his eyes were barely opened and he let out soft wheezing sounds every now and then. Most of the times, he was just huddling in a corner and panting really badly as his humped back move up and down more than often. It was a painful sight to see him struggling for his last few moments with us. If I could communicate with animals, I would have told buddy to let go and stop fighting on because it was really a painful sight to witness him struggling in pain. I couldn't hold back my tears and they just streamed down uncontrollably as I pat my hamster, hoping that this can serve him a little assurance before he reached his end. I carried him up and he was almost as light as a feather and I couldn't feel anything on my palm. He was panting really badly even when he was on my palm, I talked to him a little, cried a little, provided him with some warmth of mine. My mom woke up at around 1am and she was saying "可怜的咪咪要走了“ I couldn't take it and cried even harder. I thought hopes were surfacing when buddy was clinging onto his water bottle, trying to get some sip of the water. I helped him with it and let him lick my finger that I have wet with a small amount of water. Mi mi didn't had the strength to even lick it. It was then he stood up on his food bowl, let out a deep breathe and then he collapsed down with his eyes fully shut. I was still holding onto his tiny hand and I guess he had already cross the rainbow bridge at around 2am.

Farewell my happy little buddy. Thank you for giving us so much joy for the past 1 year 2 months.

4.58am